Friday, May 8, 2015

We Can't Stop (Advertising)

Almost three years ago, Miley Cyrus chopped off her wavy locks and stunned all the old Hannah Montana fans. She was already getting some hate for ditching her Disney act and becoming a "bad girl."So by the time she released her "We Can't Stop" music video in 2013 (pre-twerking on the VMAs?), most people were already expecting something "wild." 

There was definitely something wild about this video and it wasn't the french fry skeleton, twerking, OR the constant sticking out of tongues.

It was the product-ad placement.

When I first watched this video in 2013, I remember noticing the Beats by Dre speaker within the first ten seconds of the video and Miley's use of Eos lip balm. Soon I was too overwhelmed by prop choices and costumes to make note of these objects.

Almost two years later, having viewed The Persuaders it is suddenly so obvious to me that product-ad placement is used in Miley's music video to advertise the very objects that seemed so perfectly centered in the frame: Beats by Dre and Eos Lip Balm.

What better way to advertise products than put your gadgets in a popular poster's music video? These companies were strategic in targeting a bunch of (most likely) teenaged hooligans who are eager to keep up with the in.

It's safe to say that WE CAN'T STOP ADVERTISING to viewers like you in our persuasive society. 

Obvious?
She's def just casually putting lip balm on...

4 comments:

  1. The very first time I watched Miley Cyrus's music video for "We Can't Stop" (and I'm pretty sure I never even watched the whole thing through), I never actually noticed any of these product placements. I could make the excuse that I was too focused on the major changes that she has made, but I readily admit that I never was the type of person who would stop and start to analyze a music video or advertisement (I really only started this daily process after HISP). Now, after learning about all these marketing techniques, I'm sure that I will pay more attention to the things around me and be ready to analyze them at hand.
    I think it's definitely pretty neat that you were able to locate these subtle (or not) product-ad placements in her music video. This is just another example of the system that marketing professionals utilize as we adapt to the new techniques that they create and as they have to adapt to our immunity to their approach. The only effective way for companies and organizations to break through the clutter of advertisements that surround us consumers is through the merging of advertisement and entertainment. They're inseparable now. Personally, I believe the use of Madison & Vine is quite clever, and I'm interested to see what other methods marketing professionals will come up with to reach us and persuade us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I don't think I've ever seen this entire video but its product placement is clever. Beats and Eos were smart for putting their products in a video that they knew would receive a lot of attention. Beats are know associated with a party and a good careless time. I think this is the first time I've noticed product placement in a music video which is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! It amazes me how Miley Cyrus isn't just a God of Twerking in this music video. She's just a product. Literally, a product! It amazes me how media can change our lives. As soon as we see an attractive celebrity, we immediately look up to them and want to be like them. We are so caught up by how popular the trend is, we don't even know what we're buying for ourselves anymore. Wow! I need to get my act together because of how media can change your life. Anyways, I agree Maya. This is a crazy way to advertise, however it's pretty clever if you think about it. Haha WE CAN'T STOP being so influnced by the media! Aaah..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say that this is definitely the first time I've noticed this. The first time I watched this video, I only noticed the "teenaged hooligans." However, now that I rewatch it, I can see that she clearly is advertising for Beats and Eos. I am quite surprised that you were able to catch the product placement. Miley and her actions caught all of my attention and I would have never thought to look at the products she's using. It is very interesting how you watch these music videos. Instead of watching it purely for entertainment, you actually spotted marketing techniques. Good eye lol.

    ReplyDelete