Friday, May 8, 2015

NOT-SO-FUN FACT

FACT: My brother has watched more Netflix this year than I have spent socializing with friends. Okay, so which part is sadder?



As the first born child in my family, I often notice the luxuries my brother has acquired as the second born child. He got to go to Hawaii at an earlier age (because we HAD to bring him with us). He will be going to New York (Neeew Yoooork) at an earlier age when we go this summer. Well, I mostly envy his earlier exposure to new destinations.

I do not, however, envy his earlier exposure to television. My brother has watched Scooby Doo, the Office, Malcolm in the Middle, Parks and Rec, Everybody Loves Raymond, My Name is Earl, AND the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt all since November of 2014! Not only does it shock me that he has this much time on his hands, but also it saddens me that my brother has wasted a good chunk of his childhood.




When I was his age (oh gosh), I remember having been raised thinking that if you watch too much TV your brain will turn to an oatmeal-like substance called mush. I spent hours upon hours building fairy houses and mixing potions, picking pomegranates apart, and chasing my cat through tall grass in the backyard. I even picked up this rectangular thing that opens at odd angles... I think it was called a "book."

It is sad, however, that I have spent such little of my time socializing with friends this school year. Part of my dying social life is due to my love and obsession with sleep. I am a busy, young woman with busy, young woman things to do, so on weekends, one must understand that I am catching up on precious hours of sleep that my body so desperately craves. I have a small social circle as it is, and I can't stand being in situations where I am standing next to someone who can't hear me over the sound of their own smartphone scrolling. I have spent so many hours, I MEAN WASTED SO MANY HOURS, with people who think "hanging out" is sitting with me while they look at their phone. Maybe it is my own fault for not bringing much life to these situations, but if you have the audacity to take my time, please make it worth it.

So is it sadder that I would rather pass up hanging out with cellphones or that my brother would rather pass up his childhood?


No comments:

Post a Comment