Thursday, May 14, 2015

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Breaking Out the Truth

Ask yourself, when will be the next time I go on Netflix?

If you have answered this question, I assume you will be watching a movie or binging on a TV series within the next 24 hours. Good! This is the perfect time to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

If you should know anything about this show before watching it, I must inform that Tina Fey (THE Tina Fey, let's not forget who wrote Mean Girls) is one of the writers. So naturally, you're in for a few snickers and maybe an ab workout depending on how hard you laugh.

I may be only two episodes into the series, but I already love the way the show breaks out the truth about the American society. What makes this show humorous is its honest portrayal of how Americans act in our media. 

For example, check out this scene and tell me it doesn't remind you of our modern day newscasters.


Did you read the newsflash? Did you read all of it? Because you know, our society seems to have its vision constantly blurred by the spotlight of white people, naturally you could've missed the small script indicating that a "Hispanic woman [was] also found." (Very clever Tina!)

Even the theme song mocks the YouTube hit the Bed Intruder Song! Our society has giggled at the song but seems to forget that the man "singing" is belting out his anger toward the creep who attempted to rape his sister. 


                                                                           
I don't know about you, but I think this is a slap in the face... (I still find it comical that the theme song makes fun of this video)

When asked why the one Hispanic woman, who was of the four cult victims, didn't learn a word of English the whole time she was locked up with three English-speaking women, a clever response rolled off her tongue in her native language:


I quite like her answer to this question, for it just goes to show how our society holds English speakers so high above our fellow neighbors and friends. I remember when Coke launched its Super Bowl commercial a year or so ago, and many people hated the fact that people spoke in tongues aside from English. Our society was not willing to watch a two minute commercial because they "couldn't understand it!" Oh boohoo, does anyone stop to acknowledge the progress people make when learning a second language? Does anyone realize that not everyone speaks English? Has anyone noticed that Americans aren't the only people living in this world?

If your eyes have widened and you've thought Oh burn at any point while reading this article, it is clear that you are destined to hop aboard the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt boat. Enjoy your voyage!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm going to watch the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt after I finish re-watching 30 Rock.
    Anyways, since I haven't watched it yet I don't have too much to say on the topic, however, I do remember the Bed Intruder Song! Oh My! That was such a long time ago and it still makes me "giggle" right along with society. I think that you make a good point though, that the point of the video was not something comical at all, it was about rape. This tends to be an extremely touchy subject in our society and I think that the fact that this video was made into a music video shows how hard it is for our society to accept that rape is a real thing.
    I'm not sure if this lighthearted media brings more awareness to the true subject at hand or if it masks it entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I live under a rock and have no idea what any of the above mentioned are but i do want to comment on the idea that whites are greater. The older i get the more aware I become that more people are concerened with white people's saftey. I'm sorry but why should anyone care about someones race if someones saftey is at risk. We live in the United States of America. We have an incredible mix of people and we should all care about everyone's safty.

    ReplyDelete