Thursday, May 21, 2015

Foreign

Rapper Trey Songz released the music video "Foreign" last June. The video can be praised for its cultural appreciation, for it shows many women of many skin colors. It is positive that he doesn't stick to the oh-so-typical shades of the media, yet he uses these women as props in his music video. The song is about how he "cop[s] that foreign" (women), so naturally he had to use a few women to express how he gets all the girls of all the national origins.



Of course this video has been viewed by teens! And of course it teaches teen viewers that if you are a male, you can get all the foreign women with the swipe of your credit card, no problem! 

After we leave girl, you know where you going
Straight to the 'tel, you ain't leaving 'till the morning
Same old thing, yeah you know that shit's boring (that shit's boring)
American you know I had to cop that foreign (cop that foreign)
American you know I had to cop that foreign
(She got on a bad bikini, when we in the Lamborghini)
American you know I had to cop that foreign
(She from another country, I brought her to the city with me)
I know it's never boring
American you know I had to cop that foreign
Uh huh

These lyrics allow one to assume that when you leave a place with a girl, of course she's going to want to head back to your place without leaving "'till the morning." 

The youth is not taught to appreciate foreigners for settling in our diverse country and making a new home, rather they are taught to "cop that foreign" and take advantage of those who are unfamiliar with their new settings.

This loop started with teens' sexual desires. The media played into teen temptations by showing them that you can "have" foreign women if American women are getting boring. 

In fifteen years, I am optimistic that the media will have this diverse image of celebrating the different skin color beauty of women minus the objectifying part.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a terrible song. He really does a bad job of promoting anything foreign. I mean he still wears western clothing and basically only promotes sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trey Songz for showing that you objectify all the races, woo! He's treating all of the women like objects saying that he "cops", has, them like women are some kind of toy. I looked up more of the lyrics because I couldn't catch one part but I found that he says, "I hit the lot and then I leave out with a new one." If I didn't know the context of the song I would think that he's talking about getting a new car or something, but no he's talking about women! This song is repulsive and offensive and also has lots of product placement. Mercedes Benz and Lamborghinis are shown with beautiful women inside of them implying that if one has these cars they will attract women. Overall I think that this video is a terrible message to teens.

    ReplyDelete